No Impact Man nailed it this morning in his post on individual action. The important thing is not to worry about the outcome. Instead one should act, because one feels moved to do so. When considering environmental activism, I realize what stops me most often, are some thoughts I have about what the results might be, should be, probably won’t be. By now, I am familiar with all of them:
- ‘This is such a small thing, why bother?’
- ‘I want to put my energy in a bigger initiative that will reach many people’
- ‘Other people are better at this than I am, let them do it’
- ‘I am not quite ready yet, maybe next year’
- ‘I am going to put in all that effort, and for what results?’
- ‘What difference can I make, I am just such a small drop?’
- ‘There are already enough activists doing this.’
- ‘I have never done this before.’
- etc . . .
You add your own thoughts, now!